Matt has worked across all areas of franchising. From McDonalds team member to Bakers Delight Corporate to life as a Bakers Delight Franchisee. Matt has seen franchising from all areas.
During my conversation with Matt he shared:
- Turning around a store that had gone broke twice
- Why product range, quality and customer service are the secret to running a great franchise
- His first management shift in McDonalds
- Being a McDonalds manager at 22
- Training your staff to your values
- Putting in a leadership team into your business
- Why he rented a house 800m up the road from his store
- The skills he acquired by being a franchisee
Matt’s “One Thing” that he does every day…..
- At the end of the day, he writes a “To Do” list for the next day
Matt’s secrets are
- Getting “Me Time” – You need to be able to assign roles to staff, be clear on your expectations and be okay when things don’t always run to plan
- To getting the right employee – make sure that you are clear on your values and behaviours and hire based on these values
- Schedule time to worry about things
Matt’s tips for Franchisees
- Understand it is your own business and that you need to run your own business within the bounds you are paying for.
- If you think you are going into this business to have someone else do it for you – you are sadly mistaken
- If you are coming into the system make sure you understand how to read a Profit & Loss report and live that Profit & Loss in the environment you are in
- Interview Question: run behavioural based questions based on the STAR methodology
Matt’s thoughts for the future of franchising….
- Take an established Australian brand in perhaps retail food and look to emerging markets to see if you can establish the business there
- Look to Bangladesh to establish your Australian brand
The book Matt recommends
- Mindset by Carole Dwecht
In Matt’s words……
I wish I had known to seek help
Quotes in this episode…..
“I may be slightly obsessed by spread sheets” – Matt Brearley
“Bring everything back in line with what the system is and start from the beginning with a set of values” – Matt Brearley
“I spent a lot of the day in-store with staff to train them to my set of values” – Matt Brearley
“Sometimes you need to give yourself the day off” – Matt Brearley
“As McDonalds taught us, you can take a bunch of school age children and run a multi million dollar business” – Matt Brearley
“Due diligence is the key to having a successful business” – Matt Brearley
Selected Links For This Episode
For your FREE E-course click on the link http://www.franchiseesuccess.com.au/wish/